Thursday, September 1, 2016

"Dialogue!"


         You looked at your screen and ask, “Suzanne Beck, what is your favorite part of writing?”
        “Why, the answer is very clear!” Beck responded in a cordial way, “Dialogue!”
        Gasping, with a step back, you say, “How can this be?  Dialogue is so hard to do, so hard to write.  I wish I could be like you!”
        The endearingly, sweet, and humble Suzanne Beck nodded in agreement, “Yes, yes, I know.  But you see, my dear friend, it is really quite simple.  Let me give you a few tips and pointers.”
        You become silent with awe.


Dialogue is either a painstakingly harsh process for some, or a joy and a pleasure for others.  For me, I love it.  This love of creating a character’s voice, might stem from my background in theatre.  My schooling had taught me to focus completely on the character I was playing and think about why they might be saying what they were.  Whatever the reason one might love writing dialogue, there is a few rules and thoughts to keep in mind.  Here are a few tips to make the process easier.



Keep in Mind Who the Character Is-    This one might seem pretty self-explanatory, but I even struggle with this.  After reading through something I just wrote, I realize that I might have made a mistake by making a character say something totally out of their bounds.

Two Examples:

One:  If I develop a character that is uneducated with a mental handicap, and accidentally let them say a phrase like “I’m feeling very temperamental today” it would be out of their bounds.  I should probably change the word ‘temperamental’ to ‘moody’.  (no matter how much I like the word ‘temperamental’)

Two: Another character I might create might have limited experience in the subject of the conversation.  A lazy way of writing is to just throw in a “I understand”.  (unless you want the character to lie, let your reader know this)  But if you choose to just fly through the dialogue and the reader will know, and begin to question your writing skills.



Let It Flow, Let It Flow-   Because of my background theatre, which is mainly from college, I love to play the part.  The only way to rehearse a play is to speak the lines.  If you were to enter a rehearsal, it is very seldom that the actors are silent.  They must speak.  As a writer, even if your speech skills might be slighted, you must still speak.  Mumbling to yourself may seem loco, but you are really helping yourself.  Many times, especially when I’m alone, I will “play the part” and talk like my characters.  I will create a practice dialogue.  This helps develop the characters and the story.  So next time you are alone in the car, or hey, even at the grocery store, try a few lines.  You might understand why a writer will cry for their characters, because for most, they have been the character and have seen through their eyes.



Show Don’t Tell-  Telling the story is often a big mistake writers will make.  Now unless the character is telling another character what happened or their background, a writer should not have the character say thing like, “I am now picking up the bill, and now I am paying the bill.”   This would be silly and ridiculous.  The reader will probably throw your book across the room.

        ---Dialogue Can Move the Story Along---       Using dialogue as a tool to move your readers through the plot is a great method.  Having a character fire a main character at work.  This example, besides showing and not telling, is an excellent way of moving the story along.
      ---Reveal a Character’s Character---       Revealing a character with their speech is an excellent way to utilize dialogue.  An example would be if a wife tells her husband that she is pregnant.  His simple reply of “That’s great.” may seem sincere at first but then later writer can reveal a conversation between the husband and his best friend when he admits he doesn’t want another child.  You have shown the readers that the husband isn’t always honest with his feelings to his wife.  Yes it would be easier to just tell a reader, but showing is more entertaining and capturing.




I hope these tips have helped.  It takes practice.  So often I have written out whole conversations, so brilliantly written, but have had to highlight everything and regretfully hit the delete button, because in the long run, I know that it doesn’t flow quite right with the story.  I look back at my tips and realize what fits and what doesn’t.   Don’t give up and remember to keep the character in mind, let it flow, and show don’t tell.


               
            Once Suzanne Beck finished, you sit up, eyes blinking, and say, “That was the most amazing thing I have ever heard.  You know, you should write a best seller.”
            Suzanne Beck smiles, “Oh, don’t you worry, my beautiful reader, I won’t let you down.”

-Beck

1 comment:

  1. You know what? You WILL write a best seller! Another excellent post! As someone you enjoys and appreciates writing so much, I really can relate to what you're speaking of in your posts. That empathy with the reader is a great skill, good job!

    ReplyDelete