Thursday, September 15, 2016

Order and Chaos


Posted: September 15, 2016  

              Order versus chaos frequently has been in my thoughts.   The belief that the universe is constructed in order, but requires chaos is one I hold strongly.  They bring with them a balance that grips the world together.  Without order, we could not understand chaos in contrast, and without chaos, order is irrelevant.  They are yin and yang.  One without the other is illogical.

                As an artist, and mind you, not a great one, I have a clear understanding on both the chaos and the order.  For example, the other night, while watching the Netflix special, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, (a video blog on this will come later, once I have read the book!), I noticed that my floor, free from toys, was relatively clean.  My table, along with the kitchen sink, were empty.  Order reigned downstairs!  …except… my work desk.  Papers piled up, books one on top of another, pens all askew, showed that chaos had taken over my desk.

                My feelings on all this?  At peace.  Unlike my beloved character, Mr. Walter Sherman, I sometimes enjoy a little mess.  Any type of artist should firmly agree that they need a place or space to just throw everything down, chaotically.  The reason is our brains, left and right side.  Both sides need to be nourished and cared for.  My house is generally clean, and I can find the tools I need.  My spot for creativity is open for any kind of disorderly element that will boost my goals.

                Now I will direct our thoughts to life and the chaos and order that it brings.  While I am still “just a baby” as I am told often, my experiences have allowed me to see that life brings both order and chaos.  Sometimes everything plays out just right, and other times chaos has its way and life seems to fall apart.

                My feelings on all this? At peace.  Life would be so boring if we had no variety.  If everything was right all the time, where would the challenge be?  If there was no order, where would the rest and healing be?  Both sides need to be there.  We are designed to handle a lot, and grateful when we catch a break.

                Applying these simple thoughts of order and chaos to writing is very simple.  Consider a basic story plot.  You have the inciting moment, which is the start of conflict and chaos to the protagonist.  They must battle this problem.  They desire to have order again.  That is why stories are so important to us.  We can compare them to our own lives.  We can think about the main character and put ourselves in their shoes.  If no one could relate to Frodo Baggins, the readers (and viewers) would not continually come back time and time again.  Of course the adventure and setting makes the book more appealing, but without that initial connection to the little hobbit’s plight, no one would care.  We desire to see order set back in place for his little world.  We cheer and cry for him to get his burden up the mountain.

                So next time you are writing a story, painting, drawing, coming up with the next big idea, remember that chaos and order will be there.  I don’t believe that one is better than the other.  Both have pros and cons.  Allow them to guide you to the correct choices in your creation.  Don’t be afraid of a mess.  Don’t be afraid to have everything set just right. 

-beck

1 comment: