Tuesday, September 13, 2016

"Oh the Hedges" - Part V

Posted: September 13, 2016


                Mr. Sherman was in utter shock at the whole situation.  He placed his beloved trimmer on the ground slowly, careful not to drop it.  He didn’t know quite what was going on and asked loudly, “What seems to be the problem, officer?”

                “Just place your hands on your head,” was the reply he heard.

                “But I haven’t done anything.”

                Mr. White, who was inside, came out his back door armed with his baseball bat ready to swing.  It took a moment for him to realize who was the cause of the uproar.  He suspiciously asked, “Mr. Sherman?  Is that you?”

                Unwillingly Walter answered, “Yeah, it’s me.”

                Confused, Mr. White looked at the old man, “What are you doing in my back yard?”

                Mr. White, a man in his early forties, happened to be working two jobs, one during the week, and a part time job on the weekends.  His family recently ran into hard times, and had no other choice.  His wife worked part time while little Tommy was in school.  The two were very busy, working, trying to get their lives back in order.  They simply didn’t have time or money to keep up with yardwork.  Here and there, they would mow the lawn or rake the leaves.  But when they did get the chance, they preferred to spend their time together.

                Walter did not want to answer his neighbor’s question, but with the policemen right in front of him, he had no choice.  He stated, “Well, Mr. White, I was just trimming your hedges.  They are such an awful sight.  I felt that I must take care of them.”

                This time Mrs. Sherman interjected, “Oh, Walter, what is the matter with you?”

                Walter looked over at his wife, wondering who’s side she was on.

                Despite Mr. White’s poor landscaping skills, he was as sharp as a tack.  He quickly understood the situation and was already figuring out a way to end it with the best possible outcome, for everyone.

                One of the police officers spoke up, “Sir, you can’t just trim hedges this late into the night, you have upset the whole neighborhood.”

                “No, no, officer, it is my fault,” Mr. White threw himself in front of Mr. Sherman.  “You see, I asked Mr. Sherman to help me out.  He always has such a great lawn.  I mean just look at it.  He deserves a prize, really.  No, it is my fault because I asked him to help me out.  He has that amazing hedge trimmer.  I mean look at this thing.”

                Mr. White picked up the trimmer, and showed it off.  Inside, Walter felt a little bit of pride, but some embarrassment.  He began to realize what he had done, and how absurd he had acted.  He also felt gratitude towards Mr. White.  Mr. White could press charges, but instead was covering for his mistakes.

                The younger man continued, “This is quite a trimmer.  And he is graciously using it on my horrible hedges.  It is my fault because I never told him what time was best, you know.”

                The police officers, rolled their eyes, gave a lecture about not making so much noise at night, and left.

                “Walter, what are you doing?  Oh, Mr. White, I am so sorry, for this.  We won’t bother you anymore.  Please, I have no idea what my husband was doing.  Oh, Walter, what were you thinking?  Are you trying to get yourself arrested?”  Betty went off.

                “Please, please, Mrs. Sherman.  I don’t mind.  I could use the help.  In fact, Mr. Sherman, I was possibly wondering if you wouldn’t mind showing me a few tips this weekend.  I have a day off, and you are the best at what you do.”

                With one tear welling up in his eye, Walter answered his new friend, “Young man, I do believe this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your input, Merv! Please read the next couple blogs, where I discuss my feelings on the ending. I agree that I could have picked something better! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete