Sunday, September 4, 2016

Blank Page Syndrome

Posted: September 4, 2016






 There you sit, staring hopelessly at a blank page, and the blank page staring back at you, laughing.  The spirit is willing but the mind is weak.  So many times have writers faced the dreaded Blank Page Syndrome as I like to call it.  You have such a drive to write, but once you sit in front of a computer or down with pen and paper, your mind grows empty.  Where have all your ideas gone… out into the great unknown.



This isn’t a bad thing.  Everyone faces it.  Here are some ways to combat writer’s block.



1.       Don’t expect the best, write away.  As for me, I tend to be very hard on myself, especially at the beginning of a project.  Under the false motivation of fame and glory, instead of writing for the sake of art and myself, I stress out trying to prove that I am the best.  This is crazy.  No logic can come from this.  My readers will see through this knowing I’m trying to impress.  The best way to fight against high expectations is to just write.  Just write even if it doesn’t sound right.  If nothing is on the page to begin with how can you fix it later.  Don’t put pressure on yourself to make it amazing right off the bat.  Be patient with yourself.



2.       No ideas, walk away.  When you absolutely cannot come up with any ideas, leave the area taking your mind, body, and soul with you.  It is often suggested that you take a walk, listen to music, talk to someone, and the list can go on.  Sometimes concepts will come from the most unlikely places.  Just setting motion to your body, can have astonishing outcomes.  Your mind will open up and become free.  Thoughts will flow before you know it.  (drink a full glass of water also, it does me wonders)



3.       Keep writing.  So you might have an idea of what you want to get on paper, but you aren’t sure if it might work.  Stay with it.  Make sure you keep to your routine.  If you plan on sitting down to write for 1-2 hours a day.  Do it.  Eventually your thoughts will crystalize.  An outline will form.  Trust me, your mind will escape the dreaded blank page syndrome if you are constantly pushing it to work.



4.       What comes next?  You have your pages filled, but you don’t know what will happen to your characters next.  Currently a big project I’m working on, has an uncertain ending.  I have a few thoughts floating around in my head, but still it is a prominent mystery.  What I plan to do for this current writer’s block, is to try one avenue then step away.  When I come back to it later in a couple days and review it, I will decide whether it was the right path to take.  If I am satisfied I will continue on my way, if not then I will try again.  The best decision will shine through.  It takes time.  Trying different ways and directions will provide you with multiple choices to pick from.



Blank Page Syndrome is a serious, if not fatal condition for writers.  Use these few remedies to break the illness.  Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, get out and about, keep writing no matter what, and try different avenues.  Keep on creating!


-Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment