Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Words, Words, Words!




Words are the only link that a writer has between themselves and their readers.  Without words, books would be impossible.  (not including picture books)  Sentences, paragraphs, chapters, etc. make up a beautiful pyramid eventually building one on top of the other to create a working story that contains plots, places, and characters.

My primary focus is going to be on fictional books, so please do not assume I mean to degrade or downplay non-fiction.

Today you are able to take a glimpse at my favorite tool.  My Webster's Dictionary Plus Thesaurus.  Inside its ragged pages lie so many words.  A comfort always comes over me when I pick it up, leaf through, and find what my forgetful brain needs.  I've used it so many times, taken it so many places, and had it in and out of my bag so many times, you will see that the cover including the back, has completely come off.  There is no denying that it is my "go-to".

To start, the dictionary, is a wonderful asset.  When I am not sure what a word means I will go straight to it.  I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything there is to know.  Any writer would be a fool to assume they can work without it.

Secondly, the thesaurus, is my favorite part.  If you were to look inside this section, you would notice that I have highlighted quite a number of words here.  Using a highlighter normally draws my attention to a word that I think is unique and should be included in a story's vocabulary.  Sometimes, you just need that little push to a better word.  Something that flows better in the reader's mind.  Often, while I'm scrolling the columns, I will say out loud, "Oh, I forgot that word existed!"

If you are aspiring to write, or maybe just bored one day, I challenge you to either buy something like my so cherished dictionary/ thesaurus, or for the my more digital readers, create a document on your computer in which you can fill with words.  Highlight certain ones you like or make fun of the ones you hate.  There is no wrong way to go about it.

Learning a few new words everyday is great for the brain.  You will feel smarter too!

So get out there and discover something new, original, recent, young, firsthand, fresh... (Ant.): antique, ancient, obsolete


-Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment