Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Only Good Writer is a Dead Writer





Joanne Rowling is known around the world as J.K. Rowling, famous for the Harry Potter series that has been enjoyed by many.  She has made a tremendous amount of wealth by her writings.  Many look to her as a role model and someone to aspire to.  Her writings, which eventually turned to movies, have encouraged many to follow in her path.  (Most wanting the instant gratification of wealth and fame.)

As for Suzanne Beck?  She is following a different path.

About ten to fifteen years ago, if I didn't like someone and/or definitely did not want to see them succeed, you might hear me say, "I hate that person, I hope they trip!"  Now at my current age, I have graduated to a new level of maturity.  Instead of wishing physical pain, I have developed a focus on desiring downfalls to their careers.

While I liked reading Harry Potter, I can't help feeling a jealousy towards the success of a fellow writer.  Pathetic, maybe.  But from my view point, I desire the full attention of the readers.  I don't want them distracted by other ideas from other minds.

The irony of it all, is that currently I have seven books on my desk that I am reading.  My attention is being pulled in all directions from a plethora of authors.

Hoping that I'm not the only creative person out there that feels envious towards other's achievements, I will patiently wait another ten to fifteen years from now to see if I mature again.

Maybe by then, I'll be the one that others will be jealous about or encouraged from.

-Beck




2 comments:

  1. Good post! I really hope you succeed at this, and I think you will! Even in one blog post I can see you have an excellent writing style that lets the reader learn about what you're thinking without feeling at all that it's self-centered or forced. To be able to engage to reader like that is a great skill! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Zack! I was hoping to show a little bit of my dark side. My future postings will not be so negative. :)

    ReplyDelete