Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Climbing the Walls


Posted: October 18, 2016


Now that I have brought up just three problems a writer will face when creating something great, I will express my own ideas on how to overcome these blockades.  I am still new at writing.  It will be quite some time when I can say to my readers that I am well-seasoned.  Let me give it a few weeks.  Just kidding!  In fact, my ways of overcoming distractions, sad emotions, and time wasting might be quite different from that of a more experienced writer.  But I will try.  We are all human.  Everyone is different.  New ways and tactics to overcoming procrastination are certainly welcome to me.  If you feel you want to add any ideas or thoughts on how you overcome idleness, please feel free to comment.  Please share your mind with others and myself on this website as well as Facebook.  (link at the bottom)
The first question, “How can one stop these distractions?”, is not an easy one.  Many folks would instantly say, the best way to stop a distraction, is to eliminate it.  I say embrace it!  If you were walking along a road, suddenly a wall was to appear before you, yes, you could whip out a bomb from your back pocket, much like Link in one of my favorite video games: Zelda.  The way would become clear and you could go on your merry way.

Life is not like that.  How can artists, like our beautiful selves, just whip out a bomb and destroy our lives?  Our lives are important to us, distractions and all.  We cannot disrupt our lives for the sake of our art.

Instead of eliminating the distractions, embrace that wall and climb over it.  The climb might be invigorating.  Finding a way to climb over is finding a way to work with the distractions.  Let me give you an example of my own personal life.  Right now as I write this sentence, my son is telling me of some adventure he is having.  It has taken some practice, but I am able to continue with no problem.  I have embraced it.  Again, yesterday, my laundry, cell phone ringing, and family members coming and going, was very hard to ignore, but I was able to overcome the many things that were pulling my attention away from writing.

If you try eliminating everything from your life, you will find that you will have nothing left, and no reason to create your work.  Human connection is everything, don’t get rid of them.  Writing should become like breathing in your life.  Let those around you become use to the fact you will always have a pen and paper.  Let them feel comfortable with your tap-tapping away at a computer.

Second question: “Who can work on something they love, when they feel like the world is crushing in around them?”  This is question I find myself always asking.  How can one work like this?  Tired, sad, feelings of desperation, anxiety are many items artist and writers face.

Again, I think the idea of eliminating and destroying is a mistake, as a writer especially.  Embracing is the best thing you can do in this situation.  I often enjoy desperate emotions, because I can experience the feelings.  All writers should have some character in their stories that is struggling.  Whether it comes from the main character or the antagonist, there is a struggle.  It is human nature to feel upset from time to time.  How can a writer tell of feelings, if they have not experienced them for themselves?

One of my favorite artist is Van Gogh.  Oh, I love him.  I wish very much to have met him.  He was probably as awkward and socially strange as it gets.  He was the most unusual of men.  Even to other painters of the time, he was odd.  Van Gogh embraced his emotions (and madness) and created masterpieces one after another.  He did it for the sake of art.  He saw the beauty in the world, and even in his desperate state he could not help himself.  I advise very strongly that every writer and/or artist of every walk of life find a role model like Van Gogh and learn from them.  Of course you are your own person, and two ear are better than one!  Take from others around you, be encouraged, and embrace the emotions, they make you who you are!  (Even if you don’t like that person all the time.)

Lastly, the question of “Who wants to spend time on art, when they are happy doing other things?” is the hardest one to answer.  We only have 24 hours in one day.  I don’t think I know one adult, in this busy world, who wished we had less than that.  I’m constantly wishing for more time.  Not only is the day too short, so is the week, so is the weekend, so is the month, and the year, and before you know it, boom, nursing home.  My how time flies when you are having fun.

Self-discipline is the best answer for this question.  I have recently adopted the saying, “If you can’t find time, make it.”  It is a lot harder than you think, but I always can make some.  Time is something I greatly cherish.  I want to spend it wisely, but often don’t.  I’m human.  Netflix and Facebook.  What can I say?  They are so much fun.  Why would I want to spend hours typing and thinking when I can mindlessly watch Columbo, or playing on my phone.

If you want to achieve your goals and want to see things happen in your life, you must prioritize.  Think on what is important.  24 hours is all that has been given us.  We can only do so much.  When we get the chance to look back and see what we have done in our short lives.  Will we be happy with how we wasted the given time by playing candy crush, checking Facebook, and watching TV or will we be happy with time spent with family and doing the things we love?  Love your art, love those who love your art too.  Spend your fleeting time on what is truly important.



Thank you for reading.  I greatly hope that these thoughts have helped you.  Remember to share your thoughts here or on Facebook so others can be enlightened!



-Beck

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts. I too have been pondering priorities. In my longer life I have come to the thought that some things are just not important. I remember a little poem - "only one life, 'twill soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last. " It does put priorities in a better perspective. Another thought I had recently came from an old catachism. Question: What is man' s end? Answer: To glorify God and enjoy his blessings forever. Kind of profound if you think about it for a while. God created us with our own free will and is pleased when we honor him and obey. He has given us his word and the holy spirit to guide and teach us. He has an answer for any problems,questions,and concerns. All we need to do is humbly accept his help. What is more important than that? When we read the Bible and pray every day you know what happens - we grow, grow, grow. Its applicable at any stage of life and any age of life. As far as walls to climb and accomplishments to be accomplished I am seeing now that I am happiest doing what God has for me right now and I am confident he will give me all the strength and power I need to do it. Stay close to him and listen to his still small voice. He hears and answers and that is better to me than anything I could ever accomplish on my own.

    ReplyDelete